What are the Chakras?
What are the chakras and are there really just 7 chakras or more chakras?
To understand the chakras, we need to first understand that everything is energy. Everything that makes up the whole of existence and the infinite amounts of micro and macro Universes is merely energy in varying wavelengths of vibrations and frequencies.
Ranging from non-visible to visible such as our emotions and thoughts being different vibrational frequencies, while the physical form is the more compressed version of energy. Everything is energy and there is nothing that is not energy and there is no isolation or separation in existence.
Dimensions are not separate places of existence, but levels of awareness and perception that are interconnected to all other levels. Each individual level of energy is connected by communication pathways so, every level is aware of the state of every other level being one unified system of energies.
What does this all have to do with the chakra system, and what are the chakras really?
They are known as the 7 dimensions of perception and awareness, the 7 laws of our personal Universe, each life form being a universe of their own. The 7 levels of awareness or dimensions are actually the one chakra being the crown or consciousness divided into the 7 chakras.
This is like a subject or idea that has been divided up into a step-by-step process to achieve the highest frequency, light, level or awareness.
“Stop acting so small, you are the universe in ecstatic motion.” – Rumi
“When I say the word You, I mean a hundred universes.” – Rumi
The chakras are one of the major systems for survival, physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. In this article I will try to enlighten you about the 7 main chakras that we are familiar with to some degree.
Chakras and the Body
We know each has a specific colour, geometrical shape, a mantra or sound assigned to it. Are there really just 7 chakras or more chakras?
There are actually 114 chakras just on the physical body alone. They are in your palms, fingertips and joints. We have chakras and energy centres which may seem alike but are actually very different.
The 7 main chakras that run along the spine are not just energy centres but energy generators that receive and emit energetic information. The study of the chakras, the aura and energy body are not so different to the study of the anatomy and physiology of the physical body, they are actually interlaced as a whole.
If you intend to learn more about the energy body, I would suggest learning more about the physical body too because that is where everything actually starts, at the core.
The physical body is the core or the seed to the rest of your complete body and it is not just made up of structure, form and energy. The physical body is also a miracle laboratory of chemical and electrical processes and interactions. The 7 main chakras plus some sub main chakras are actually connected to the chemical and electrical processes of the physical body and visa-versa.
I’m not going to go into detail about the sub main chakras and will be focusing on the 7 main chakras only.
Each and every main chakra has a specific position along your spinal cord connecting to organs and the endocrine or hormonal system of the body. Chakras do not only metabolise energy but also receive information by sensing energy about the world around us.
The brain and spinal cord are surrounded with cerebrospinal fluid which generates energetic electrical rhythmic impulses allowing the delicate pumping of heart like rhythm or breathing movement of life force energy within the body which is the primary state of our health of being in alignment.
Within each one of our main chakras, each one carries parts of the universal energetic patterns. They have different associations and frequencies of inherit patterns of awareness that we can work with.
Each chakra has a colour, sound and shape associated with it and that same colour is used everywhere in society to communicate a specific chakra’s energy.
If we start from the base, the root chakra is described as being brownish red or crimson in colour and the lowest and slowest visible frequency or colour to the human eye and one of the reasons why stop signs are red. Stop signs are never seen as purple anywhere in the world because that energy is understood to all human beings at a subconscious level as STOP.
Healing, maintaining and working with the chakras are more of a personal and intuitive ritual.
There are specific external resources that can be used such as plants, herbs, food, water, crystals, sound frequencies, physical and mental activities to keep your chakras in alignment.
It’s important to know and understand that each chakra is its own world and it has awareness. To heal, maintain and work with the chakras, one of the effective ways is to work with breathing techniques.
Chakra Balancing Breathing Exercise:
- First you need to wake up the connection with the individual chakra by gently tapping or massaging it gently with your first two fingers.
- As you inhale and exhale through the nose, continue directing your breath to the chakra.
- Imagine a sphere of light in the colour of the chakra you are working with pulsing and growing larger.
- Chakras with masculine feeling energy the sphere should be spun clockwise, and feminine feeling energy the sphere spun counterclockwise.
- As you become more and more aware of the sensations of the chakra, ask it what it needs right now.
- While you are doing all of this do not forget to keep up the breath work.
- You could receive feedback in the form of images, moving images, colour, words, sounds, smells, songs, tunes, feelings, cravings or sensations.
- Trust your intuition by acting on the feedback you get. If you do not get any information, do not give up and continue practicing. You could get pulsing or tingling sensations in the area of the chakra which means you have been heard and are connected!
The 7 Chakras:
Every individual is different so you may find another way to tune in and work with your chakras. I have given some key features on each and every one of them below.
The Root Chakra
- The Color is red.
- Geometrical shape is the tetrahedron that has 4 sides.
- Elements are fire and earth. Planets are Mars and Saturn.
- Tuesdays and Saturdays are the days to work with this chakra.
- Numerology number 1 – New beginnings and courage.
- It is the spark or spirit born into matter, ‘I am’.
- Awareness, awakening, moving and evolving, physical needs, grounding, yang, masculine, father, roots, foundation, security, fear, fight-flight-freeze, physical dynamism and courage.
- In the spine it is L5-S5, lumbar and coccygeal plexus, adrenal cortex, epinephrine actions, survival, male gonads, plasma, blood, bones and marrow, muscles, perineum, legs, glutes, colon and rectum.
- Musical note C/Do, frequency 396hz, Mantra LAM.
- All root vegetables, plus all red and dark brown fruits and vegetables. Herbs are hawthorn berries, hibiscus, rose petals, rose hips and rooibos.
- Essential oils are cedarwood, myrrh, clove, ginger, frankincense, vetiver, patchouli and sandalwood.
- Crystals are hematite, red jasper, garnet, red coral, bloodstone, obsidian, agate, tourmaline, ruby and smoky quartz.
- Herbal teas are dandelion root, ginger, ashwagandha, black cohosh, liquorice root and burdock.
- All sorts of physical activity, weight lifting, walking, running, squatting, having a massage or going to the sauna.
- Everything that physically feels good and strengthens the physical body supports the balance of the root chakra.
Related article: What is the Aura, and what colour is your Aura?
The Sacral Chakra
- The colour is orange.
- Geometrical shape is the cube which has 6 sides.
- Element is water.
- Planets are Venus and Moon.
- Friday and Monday are the days to work with this chakra.
- Numerology number 2 – duality and love.
- Polarity, connection, sense of self and intimate connections with others,.
- ‘I feel’.
- Passion, creativity, sexuality, cycles of birth, death, and rebirth, power of flow, fertility, emotions, feelings, sensuality, ying, feminine, mother, foundation of emotional wellbeing, enjoyment of life through the senses.
- In the spine it is T9-L4, lumbar plexus, reproductive systems, estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, sexual development, egg creation, ovaries, bladder, appendix, small and large intestines, elimination and water regulation.
- Musical note D/Re, frequency 417hz, Mantra VAM.
- All orange fruits and vegetables.
- Herbs are chamomile, lady’s mantle, black cohosh and mint.
- Essential oils are sandalwood, clary sage, cardamon, cinnamon bark, ylang ylang, and jasmine.
- Crystals are aragonite, carnelian, orange calcite, citrine sunstone, fire agate, amber, moonstone and goldstone.
- Herbal teas are ginger, fennel seed, damiana leaf, calendula, orange peel, honey and thyme.
- All practically creative hobbies and overall creativity in our lives such as movements and actions and connecting while being playful within our existence and personal power.
- Dance is a very simple activity that is creative and helps you to get out of your head and into your body more (great for those that tend to live in their heads).
The Solar Plexus Chakra
- The colour is yellow.
- Geometrical shape is the octahedron, which has 10 sides.
- Element is Fire.
- Planets are The Sun and Mars.
- Sunday and Tuesday are the days to work with this chakra.
- Numerology number 3 self-expression. Cause and effect, personality and identity, ‘I do’.
- Personal power, self-confidence, self-worth, unlimited potential to transform thought or inertia, into action, ego, anger, personal power and will power.
- In the spine T5- T9, pancreas, insulin, stomach, digestion, assimilation and muscles.
- Musical note E/Mi, frequency 528hz, Mantra is RAM.
- All yellow fruits and vegetables.
- Herbs are barberry, calendula, cat’s claw, chamomile, ginger, lemon, lemon balm, lemongrass, lemon verbena, mint and turmeric. Essential oils are black pepper, lemongrass, ginger, rosemary, and sandalwood.
- Crystals are citrine, amber, calcite, tiger’s eye, pyrite, yellow jasper, yellow topaz, yellow tourmaline, agate, lemon quartz and sunstone.
- Herbal teas are yerba mate, lemongrass, ginger, dandelion, linden, neroli and bergamot.
- Mindful breathing to release captured energy and taking up new healthy habits and weaning off old unhealthy habits slowly.
The Heart Chakra
- The colour is green at the front, and pink at the back.
- Geometrical shape is the Dodecahedron, which has 12 Sides.
- Element is Air.
- Planets are The Moon and Venus.
- Monday and Friday are the days to work with this chakra.
- Numerology Number 4.
- Patience and Universal Love, Flow and rhythm, giving and receiving, bridge between the lower physical and upper spiritual chakras, ‘I Love’.
- Compassion, kindness, affection, love, empathy, love for oneself and others, group consciousness and peace.
- In the spine T1-T5, Blood circulatory system, heart, thymus, lungs, cardiac plexus, lymphocytes, electromagnetic field generator, blood pressure and immune system.
- Musical note F/Fa, frequency 639Hz, Mantra YAM.
- Green and pink fruits and vegetables, Herbs are hawthorn, hibiscus, holy basil, rose, astragalus, violets and motherwort.
- Essential oils are frankincense, geranium, melissa, neroli, rose, sandalwood and ylang ylang.
- Crystals are rose quartz, emerald, green aventurine, rhodonite, amazonite, green jade, malachite, rhodochrosite, prehnite, chrysoprase, green tourmaline, green calcite, kunzite, moldavite, moss agate and peridot.
- Herbal teas are green tea, matcha, hawthorn berry, hibiscus, holy basil, nettle, ginger and linden.
- Doing gratitude work or keeping a gratitude journal, practicing Ho’oponopono, meditation and daily acts of kindness to heal and balance the heart chakra.
The Throat Chakra
- The colour is sky Blue.
- Geometrical shape is the sphere, 16 Sides.
- Element is Ether.
- Planet is Mercury.
- Wednesday is the day to work with this chakra.
- Numerology Number 5
- Discovery and change it’s where energy changes into matter, vibration, voice, expression, communication, exploring of emotional and mental connection with the external world. ‘I speak’.
- Expanding the voice and the power of will, awareness of personal power.
- In the spine C3-C7, pharyngeal plexus, respiratory system, thyroid, parathyroid, thyroxine, mouth, teeth, tongue jaw, metabolism and calcium regulation.
- Musical note G/So, frequency 741hz, Mantra HAM.
- Juice of fruit and vegetables, healing and soothing liquids, sea plants and greens.
- Herbs are chamomile, sage, clary sage, slippery elm and eucalyptus.
- Essential oils are peppermint, basil, eucalyptus, bergamot, geranium, frankincense, rosemary and tea tree.
- Crystals are lapis lazuli, blue lace agate, turquoise, aquamarine, amazonite and kyanite.
- Herbal teas are peppermint, echinacea, marshmallow leaf, thyme, ginger and honey.
- Doing activities that help you to find your voice again. Try writing pen on paper whatever comes to mind, join a theatre group, learn to sing.
The Third Eye Chakra
- The colour is indigo,
- Geometrical shape is the Vesica Piscis, it has 2 sides or two spheres overlapping.
- Element is light.
- Planets are Neptune and Uranus.
- Monday is the day to work with this chakra.
- Numerology number 6
- High spiritual harmony, balance, protection, projection and Justice. Correspondence, intuition, wisdom, wider perspective and interconnectedness, visionary perception and guidance and creative intelligence. ‘I see’.
- Clairvoyance, sixth sense, visualisation, clarity, discernment, imagination, creative dreaming and psychic power.
- In the Spine C1-C2, autonomic nervous system, pituitary, pineal, carotid plexus, somatotropin, growth, hormonal and physiological regulation, skull, eyes, brain, nervous system and senses.
- Musical note A/La, frequency 852hz, Mantra OM.
- All purple-coloured fruits and vegetables.
- Herbs are eyebright, bilberry, star anise, mugwort, lavender, juniper and rosemary.
- Essential oils are patchouli, frankincense, lavender, cedarwood, clary sage, German chamomile and rose.
- Crystals are amethyst, purple sapphire, purple violet tourmaline, sodalite and rhodonite.
- Herbal teas are mint, jasmine and blueberry.
- 20 minutes a day of pure stillness, deep breathing and keeping your mind focused on the present moment. Slowing down, slowing down, paying more attention to the thoughts in your mind and how they come in.
The Crown Chakra
- The colour is violet.
- Geometrical shape is the tetrahedron forming the flower of life 972 sides.
- Element is thought.
- Planets are Jupiter and Pluto.
- Thursday is the day to work with this chakra.
- Numerology number 7.
- Contemplation and re-evaluation. mentalism, spirituality, relationship with universal source and bridge to the cosmos, ‘I know’.
- Enlightenment, truth, oneness, wisdom, universal consciousness, connection to higher guidance, interaction and communication with the universe, inspiration and devotion, union with the higher self and the divine.
- Central nervous system, pineal gland, carotid plexus, melatonin, circadian rhythms, top of the spinal cord, brain stem, pain centre and nerves.
- Musical note B/Ti, frequency 963hz, Mantra AUM.
- Using purified water, fresh air and sunlight.
- Herbs and herbal teas to use are sarsaparilla root, allspice, cloves, organic oat straw, chamomile flowers, organic raspberry leaf, jasmine blossoms, lavender flowers, and vanilla beans.
- Essential oils are pure frankincense, myrrh, neroli, rose, spikenard, sandalwood and vetiver.
- Crystals are lepidolite, scolecite, indigo gabbro, selenite, rutilated quartz, clear apophyllite, clear calcite, white agate, hypersthene, charoite, seraphinite.
- Pray, as prayer is sending your call out to the universe from your heart and watching God respond, knowing you are heard. So, praying regularly with intention and sincerity helps to balance this chakra.
Explore the seasons, moon cycles, and astrological movements in ritual, soul and community with our Flow with the Moon Membership. Plus, join us live for monthly astrology classes.
Monthly Astrology, Tarot, Live Astrology Classes, Soul Journeys & Energy Activations.
Our Flow with the Moon membership has been home to thousands of women from across the globe who are aware of, and deeply nurturing, their innate magic. They’re doing so by aligning with the cosmos, connecting with the Moon cycles, and bringing Soul into their everyday.
Join us here!
Love and Light,